The Human race has come a long way in terms of technological developments. From our homes to workplace technology is everywhere and we are heavily dependent on it. While it has made our daily lives a lot easier, it has also had some adverse effects on our life quality.
In the morning we wake up to the sound of an alarm that was set last night on a smartphone. We get up and out of our comfy beds and go about our day. If staring at computer and phone screens wasn’t enough, we even get the technology to our bedrooms in one way or the other. We now read books on kindle, stare at peoples’ social media feed for hours lying in some twisted position on our beds before falling asleep.
We spend a third of our life sleeping, the quality of which has direct or indirect effects on the quality of the other two thirds. While a good bed with a comfortable mattress helps in getting some good night’s sleep, there are a few other accessories and gadgets which can make this process easier and help you wake up fresh.
- Sleep Tracker: As the name suggests a sleep tracker helps keep a track of one’s sleep. The device monitors the time and duration of your sleep, your movements while asleep, heart rate and rhythm. It also monitors the breathing, the number of times you stop breathing and the duration. These trackers allow you to review all collected data to assess your sleep quality and take suitable measures for better quality sleep. A number of wearable as well as non wearable trackers, like Fitbit Iconic and Fitbit charge 2 are available to choose from.
- Eye mask: Eye masks are some of the most effective sure shot way of ensuring a good night’s sleep. They are a natural method of enhancing sleep quality. Eye masks block all light upon sensing which the brain releases Melatonin. From basic fabric eye masks to gel masks to several electronic eye masks like Remee that help in recalling your dreams, you can choose from a wide variety.
- Noise canceling headphone: if you get startled by the faintest of sounds or have trouble falling asleep around loud noises, noise canceling headphones are a great investment for you. They block all sounds from traffic to snoring. For those who like to fall asleep to some music, these ensure that you only hear the tunes and block all external sounds. All together you will be able to pretty much sleep through a thunderstorm.
- Nose vent: if you or your partner wants to avoid snoring a nose vent is the best way to do so. They help in opening up the airways to allow maximum airflow. This makes for unobstructed breathing, which reduces snoring. Snore Care and Noze Doze are some of the leading brands available in the market.
- Aroma therapy oil diffuser: Essential oils like Lavender and Cedar wood are proven relaxing agents that signal the brain to produce and release serotonin and melatonin. These act as natural sedatives which are readily available and affordable. So just add an oil diffuser to that bedside table and say hello to some relaxing sleep.
- Himalayan salt lamp: Exposure to positive ions can reduce ones sleep quality as it can lead to a reduced blood and oxygen supply to the brains. As the name suggests, these are made out of solid chunks or rocks of Himalayan Pink salt. When switched on the salt from the lamp absorbs water and other particles thereby releasing negative ions. This creates a very calm and soothing environment which enhances sleep quality. These salt lamps are one of the most natural ways of enhancing sleep quality.
- While adding one or more these of these accessories to your bedroom will help enhance your sleep quality, you cannot completely depend on these. Unless you make necessary changes in your lifestyle no noise canceling head phones or oil diffusers will be of much use. Go outside, exercise, work, even be on your laptop or phone when required, but make sure you keep as much technology as you can outside your bedroom. Goodnight.